Community selection involved narrowing down the possible patio home communities that matched your needs and preliminary visits to meet builder reps and view model homes.
Next up is one of the most important parts of the process to your future patio home happiness: selecting the floor plan!
While you can readily change many things in your home after moving in, there's just not much you can do about your floor plan. You can't pick up rooms and move them, or make them bigger, so nailing this step is critical.
Some key questions to ask yourself as part of selecting your floor plan:
- How much room do you need? While square footage can sometimes be deceiving since some "smaller" numbers may actually have better flow, there's obviously a big difference between a 1400 sq ft patio home and one topping 2000+.
- What TYPE of rooms do you need? Two bedrooms? Two bedrooms and a study? Three bedrooms?
- What's your lifestyle? Entertain a lot? If so, an open floor plan with easy access to deck/patio becomes more important.
- Do you need a basement? A finished basement? A basement with walkout?
- Do you prefer a deck or patio? (this ties into lot selection)
- Do you like an open floor plan or a bit more traditional?
- Any other special needs? Sun room? Work from home? A need to accomodate overnight visitors?
- Do you expect to ever resell this home? If so, staying as close to "mainstream" with your selection matters.
Taking the answers into account, reviewing the builder's available floor plans will result in eliminating some floor plans very quickly (too small, too big, no dedicated dining room, etc.). And in some cases, it may even eliminate the builder entirely if the builder is one of those rare builders with only 2 or 3 floor plans. More likely (e.g. larger area builders such as Drees, Fischer, Brookstone, Inverness, M.I.) will offer 6-8 patio home floor plans. Depending on the builder, some level of customization may be available (e.g. changing features in the master bath, changing door/window locations, etc.).
Once we're down to the best plan or two to meet your needs, ideally the builder will have a model home to visit. Frankly, nothing beats putting feet on the floor in a home to get a true feel for what it's like. That may mean some driving because most communities will only have one model home (if even that). For builders with multiple patio home communities, they'll likely provide a different model floor plan in each community. That might mean some driving, even crossing the state line into northern Kentucky to find a patio home built. In some cases, the builder may have access to other homes being built that are ready to walkthrough, or past buyers that are willing to allow a visit.
Once you've confirmed the floor plan that works for you, it's time to get pricing for building your desired patio home. We'll cover those details in the next post in the series.
Topics in the series:
Floor plan selection
Pricing & Financing your patio home
The preconstruction meeting
The build process (including should I hire my own home inspector?)
Final steps and completing the purchase
Ready to get started? Just give Bill a call at 513-520-5305 and we can discuss how we can help you build that perfect patio home!
Serving the Cincinnati patio home market,
Liz and Bill aka BLiz
P.S. Need help selling your home? We don't just help patio home buyers, we also help home sellers of all types of housing, not just patio homes. So if you need to sell to buy, we can provide you one stop service.
Serving Warren County Ohio & Adjacent Areas
The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite
Elizabeth Spear, ABR, CRS, Ohio License SAL.2002007747
William (Bill) Spear, CRS, Ohio License SAL.2004011109 Kentucky 77938
Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Bill Direct: 513-520-5305
Liz Direct: 513-265-3004
Search Homes: Https://WarrenCountyOhioRealEstate.com
Our Website: www.LizTour.com
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map